Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Turkey Farm Tour, Women on Farms Gathering, Glenormiston, 1994 Reg. No: MM 91587
- Photograph taken of Women on Farms Gathering participant Beryl Taylor on a turkey farm tour in Noorat. Tours were one of the many activities offered to participants during the 1994 Glenormiston Women on Farms Gathering.
- Colour Digital Photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- Tours have been a central feature of the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings ever since the first tour, which was held at the 1991 Sea Lake Gathering. The purpose of tours is to give participants the opportunity to witness local farming practices and in doing so, to learn new skills and diversify their knowledge base. In the early 1990s the tours were mostly restricted to farm-based tours. However, as the Gatherings themselves evolved to include a range of broader rurally based activities and issues, tours too stated to become more diverse and include a range of non-farming educational opportunities. These tours are significant to the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings, and also more generally in terms of their place in Australia's rural and social history. Situated in the wider context of the rural women's movement in Australia, these tours represent a collective move by rural women to educate themselves about farming enterprise, raise their public profile and in doing so, to challenge the dominant representation of rural Australia as a male domain.
- Description Of Content:
- A woman holds a turkey during a tour at the 1994 Glenormiston Women on Farms Gathering.
|Tagged with:||farm animals, agriculture, rural life, gender issues, work, community groups, walking, conferences, rural women, women on farms gatherings|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|People Depicted:||Beryl Taylor|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Noorat, Victoria, Australia, 1994|
|Place & Date of Event:||Glenormiston, Victoria, Australia, 1994|