Search the collections
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Participants at the Saturday Night Dinner, Women on Farms Gathering, Numurkah, 1992 Reg. No: MM 91598
- Photograph taken at the 1992 Numurkah Women on Farms Gathering during the Saturday night dinner. This dinner was held in the Numurkah Shire Hall and included local wine tastings, a smorgasbord dinner and a performance by a local trio of singers.
- Colour Digital Photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Celebratory dinners are a regular feature of the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings. During these dinners women feast on local produce and wines and are also entertained with women's stories, speeches and performances, which have included songs, theatricals, fashion parades, comedy skits and dances. Often these performances have carried an underlying message about rural life from a woman's perspective, touching on a range of themes including farm succession, gender equality, community, work, and family life. The celebratory dinners provide an informal occasion for networking, sharing ideas and developing new friendships. They also allow women from across Victoria to relax, rejuvenate and recharge their batteries. Situated in the wider context of the rural women's movement in Australia, these dinners exemplify the importance of communication to the lives of rural women, as well as the varied ways in which women have networked, celebrated their lives and affirmed their rural identities.
- Description Of Content:
- Group of women seated for meals at the 1992 Women on Farms Gathering in Numurkah.
|Tagged with:||agriculture, rural life, community groups, dinners, friendships, conferences, rural women, women on farms gatherings, agricultural farming organisations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|People Depicted:||Front Left: Williams, Julie; 2nd left Kerr, Nerida; 2nd right Cowan, Bronwyn; Front Right Martin, Shirley.|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Numurkah, Victoria, Australia, 1992|
|Place & Date of Event:||Numurkah, Victoria, Australia, 1992|