Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Saucer - Moss Rose Pattern, Earthenware, C. Meigh, Son & Pankhurst, Staffordshire, 1850-1851 (Reconstructed) Reg. No: LL 078226 2
- This reconstructed saucer was excavated at the Commonwealth Block site between 1988 and 2003. There is a matching cup that was found with it. The pattern is known as 'Moss Rose' and was made between 1850 and 1851 by Charles Meigh, Son & Pankhurst in Hanley, Staffordshire, England.
Numerous crockery pieces were found all over the Little Lon site. Crockery gives us a glimpse of everyday life in Melbourne in the 1880s. In the houses around Little Lon, residents used decorated crockery. Most pieces were cheap earthenware or stoneware, yet provided colour and cheer. Only a few could afford to buy matching sets, and most china was probably acquired second-hand. Some were once expensive pieces. Householders mixed and matched their crockery from the great range of mass-produced designs available. 'Blue and white' and the 'willow' pattern, was the most popular choice and was produced by English potteries from 1790.
- Description for Parent Record:
Tea cup and saucer - white with blue/black "viney/leafy" design around edge . Cup 95% complete, saucer(s?), 60%. Maker's mark on base of saucer: "MOS C.M.S. &..." - . Pattern name is 'Moss Rose'. It was made by Charles Meigh and Sons, Pankhurst, Staffordshire, 1850 - 1851.
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Dimensions:||70 mm (Height), 153 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||for cup and saucer; width = diameter|
|Themes this item is part of:||Little Lon, Little Lon Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Secondary Classification:||Food Service|
|Tertiary Classification:||tea consumption|
|Specific Activity:||Tea consumption|
|Trench Unit Number:||02/22.1/45|
|Inscriptions:||Inscription on base: MOS C.M.S. &...|
|Manufacturer:||Charles Meigh & Sons, 1850 - 1851|
|References:||G. A. Godden 'Encyclopedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks', 1991|