Search the collections
Similar items over time
Booklet - 'The "Bendigo" Log', Cape Times Ltd, 1924 Reg. No: HT 15703
- Souvenir booklet of the voyage of the TSS Bendigo from England to Australia, departing London on 24 January 1924. The book includes a passenger list, which mentions a Miss G.M. Leichti , details about captain and crew, and descriptions of shipboard events. Also included is a description of the passengers brought out under the auspice of the Salvation Army, of which Miss Leichti was one.
- A5 size booklet with stapled spine, soft green cover and 24 pages.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Gladys Leichti's objects and story represents the push to attract young British girls for domestic service in the 1920s and the role of philanthropic organizations such as the Salvation Army in meeting this demand. The story is also interesting for its cross-cultural marriage and the bringing together of two very different migrant stories from different periods in time.
Johannes Stegelman's story is a great example of more unorthodox migration. Jumping ship was a common way to start a new life in Australia, especially for sailors on merchant ships, and dates back to the 1850s gold rush with sailors jumping ship to head for the goldfields (John Simpson Kirkpatrick of 'Simpson and his donkey' fame arrived in Australia by jumping ship). Stegelman's objects all relate to his career in both the German Navy and the merchant navy including the hire document that brought him to Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Margaret Steglman, 2006
|Dimensions:||13.40 cm (Width), 21.60 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||assisted immigration, immigrant voyages, immigrant shipping, immigration policies, english immigration, religions salvation army, ship memorabilia|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Transport Collection, Gladys Muriel Leichti, English Migrant, 1924 & Johannes (Jack) Stegelman, German Migrant, 1911|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|Inscriptions:||Text, front cover: THE/"BENDIGO" LOG/A Souvenir/OF THE VOYAGE OF THE/T.S.S. "BENDIGO"/FROM/LONDON to SYDNEY, ex London 24th January, 1924/G.H.S. FURLONG, R.D., R..N.R., IN COMMAND.|
|User:||Gladys Leichti, 1924|
|Ship Named:||T.S.S. Bendigo, 1924|