Search the collections
Service Report - Issued to J. Stegelman, German Australian Steamship Co, Employment on SS Riel, 1911 Reg. No: HT 15722
- Service report issued to J. Stegelman by the German Australian Steamship Company Hamburg. It states that he worked as a carpenter on the steamship 'Riel' for five months and ten days from 28 October 1910 to 6 April 1911. It lists his reason for leaving as the end of journey and notes that his work ability, sobriety and behaviour were very good.
- Yellowing paper with black printed text. Personal details written in pen. Some purple stamps. All in German. Small tear on top left hand corner.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Johannes Stegelman's story is a great example of more unorthodox migration. Jumping ship was a common way to start a new life in Australia, especially for sailors on merchant ships, and dates back to the 1850s gold rush with sailors jumping ship to head for the goldfields (John Simpson Kirkpatrick of 'Simpson and his donkey' fame arrived in Australia by jumping ship). Stegelman's objects all relate to his career in both the German Navy and the merchant navy including the hire document that brought him to Australia. The story is also interesting for its cross-cultural marriage and the bringing together of two very different migrant stories from different periods in time.
Gladys Leichti's objects and story represents the push to attract young British girls for domestic service in the 1920s and the role of philanthropic organizations such as the Salvation Army in meeting this demand.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Margaret Steglman, 2006
|Dimensions:||13.30 cm (Width), 22.30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, german communities, german immigration, immigration, merchant seamen, apprenticeships, shipboard travel, tradespeople, shipping industry, shipping companies|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Transport Collection, Gladys Muriel Leichti, English Migrant, 1924 & Johannes (Jack) Stegelman, German Migrant, 1911|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Inscriptions:||Text: Deutsch-Australische Dampfschiffs-Gesellschaft,/Hamburg.|
|Issued To:||Johannes Stegelman, Germany, 1911|
|Other Association (See Comments):||German Australian Steamship Co, 28 Oct 1910 - 6 Apr 1911
Period employed by the German Australian Steamship Co on the SS Riel.