Search the collections
Photograph - 'Mr & Mrs H.V. McKay with Friends, Seated in a Lanchester Motor Car', Ireland, 1914 Reg. No: MM 92692
- Black and white photograph mounted on brown card. Depicts scene of Mr. and Mrs. H.V. McKay with friends in a Lanchester motor car in Ireland in 1914.
This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company?s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
- Black and white photograph affixed to card mount. Handwritten inscriptions on reverse in blue ink and grey pencil.
Card irregular in shape with pin holes around edges.
- Description Of Content:
- Hugh V. McKay sits in the driver's seat of the motor car whilst three females, wearing hats, sit in the back seat. The Lanchester motor car has the roof folded down and is on a dirt road lined with trees.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Councillor Don McKay, 1960
|Dimensions:||141 mm (Height), 213 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||agricultural equipment, motor cars, travel|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Tertiary Classification:||business travel|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten text on reverse in blue ink and grey pencil reads: 'Mr & Mrs H.V. McKay / with friends in Ireland / Vehicle / (illegible) 1914.'.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Ireland, 1914|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Hugh McKay, Ireland, 1914|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Transport Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection