Search the collections
Photograph - 'Leaving Hotel Castille, Paris, On Return to England', France, circa 1918 Reg. No: MM 92732
- One of 22 photographs taken whilst H.V. McKay was in France and Belgium shortly after the First World War. Photographs include images of machinery and farm equipment that have been left derelict or destroyed. There are also rural scenes and images of bombed cityscapes, some of which feature group portraits of H.V. McKay and his companions. HV McKay was a member of the Business Board of Administration of the Australian Defence Department 1917-1918, and Chairman of the Stores Disposal Board, London 1919.
Part of the H.V. McKay Archive, which includes legal records, business correspondence, personal writings, agreements & contracts, accounts, obituary, articles, and photographs taken in Australia and abroad. This is part of the broader McKay Sunshine Collection which includes photographs, films, artefacts, trade literature, company publications and oral histories.
- Black and white photograph. Handwritten inscription on reverse in black ink.
- Description Of Content:
- H.V. McKay and companions leaving Hotel Castille, Paris, on their return to England, First World War. Three women and three men, including H.V. McKay, pose in the entranceway of the building. Two of the men are in military attire. A hotel attendant stands to the right of the doorway, near a plaque bearing the hotel's name.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw)
|Dimensions:||147 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, hotels, buildings, world war i 1914-1918, soldiers|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Sunshine Harvester Works, Contributions to the War Effort, World War I, 1914-1920|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten inscription on reverse in black ink reads: 'Leaving Hotel Castille, Paris, / on return to England.'.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Paris, France, circa 1918|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Hugh McKay, Paris, France, circa 1918|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Sunshine Harvester Works, Contributions to the War Effort, World War I, 1914-1920