Search the collections
Photograph - 'Foundation of Memorial, 2nd Division, AIF, Mt St Quentin', France, circa 1918 Reg. No: MM 92753
- One of 22 photographs taken whilst H.V. McKay was in France and Belgium shortly after the First World War. Photographs include images of machinery and farm equipment that have been left derelict or destroyed. There are also rural scenes and images of bombed cityscapes, some of which feature group portraits of H.V. McKay and his companions. HV McKay was a member of the Business Board of Administration of the Australian Defence Department 1917-1918, and Chairman of the Stores Disposal Board, London 1919.
This image is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia.
- Black and white photograph. Handwritten inscription on reverse in black ink.
- Description Of Content:
- Foundation of Memorial, 2nd Division, A.I.F., Mt. St. Quentin, France, First World War. Seven men and three women stand on memorial foundations that are comprised of steps surrounding a square platform, possibly made from concrete. Three of the men wear military attire and H.V. McKay stands in the centre of the group. Six wooden wheelbarrows are in the foreground.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw)
|Dimensions:||148 mm (Height), 199 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, world war i 1914-1918, soldiers, construction sites, wheelbarrows, memorials|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Sunshine Harvester Works, Contributions to the War Effort, World War I, 1914-1920|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||monuments & statues|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten inscription on reverse in black ink reads: 'Foundation of Memorial / 2nd. Division A.I.F. / Mt. St. Quentin'.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Somme, France, circa 1918|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Hugh McKay, Somme, France, circa 1918|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Sunshine Harvester Works, Contributions to the War Effort, World War I, 1914-1920