Search the collections
Photograph - 'Cloth Hall, Ypres', Belgium, circa 1918 Reg. No: MM 92761
- One of 22 photographs taken whilst H.V. McKay was in France and Belgium shortly after the First World War. Photographs include images of machinery and farm equipment that have been left derelict or destroyed. There are also rural scenes and images of bombed cityscapes, some of which feature group portraits of H.V. McKay and his companions. HV McKay was a member of the Business Board of Administration of the Australian Defence Department 1917-1918, and Chairman of the Stores Disposal Board, London 1919.
This image is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia.
- Black and white photograph. Handwritten inscription on reverse in black ink.
- Description Of Content:
- Cloth Hall, Ypres, Belgium, First World War. Scene features a group of men and women, including H.V. McKay, posing in front of the ruins of a building. Only some sections of the walls and archways remain. One of the men in the group wears military attire.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw)
|Dimensions:||147 mm (Height), 197 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, world war i 1914-1918, cathedrals, ruins|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Sunshine Harvester Works, Contributions to the War Effort, World War I, 1914-1920|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten inscription on reverse in black ink reads: 'Cloth Hall, Ypres.'.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Ypres, Belgium, circa 1918|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Hugh McKay, Ypres, Belgium, circa 1918|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Sunshine Harvester Works, Contributions to the War Effort, World War I, 1914-1920