Search the collections
Card - Captain Robert Falcon Scott, Men of Stamina, Series No. 4, No. 67., circa 1950s Reg. No: HT 19352 14
- Card No. 67 from the Men of Stamina, Series No. 4, depicting Captain Robert Falcon Scott. It is one of a set of these cards used and owned by Bill Boyd in the 1950s. Scott was an officer in the Royal Navy who led two expeditions to the Antarctic regions.
The William Boyd Childhood Collection includes most of the childhood possessions of William (Bill) Boyd, who was born in 1947 and raised in the Victorian town of Maryborough. Kept by Lillian Boyd (Bill's mother) for decades, upon her death the Collection was donated by Bill to the former Museum of Childhood at Edith Cowan University in Western Australia. When the Museum of Childhood closed it was transferred to Museum Victoria.
- Rectangular card with colour head and shoulders portrait of Robert Falcon Scott on the front. The reverse of the card has red and black text along the top and bottom and a logo for Stamina Clothing in the centre.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Encompassing toys, books, clothing and other items, the William Boyd Childhood Collection is rare in its comprehensiveness: even emphemera such as the back of a Cornflakes box are included. The Collection demonstrates a range of prominent themes in the lives of postwar Victorian children, such as the ability to 'make do' under austere circumstances; the shift in toy manufacture towards plastic materials and mass production; the continuing cultural influence of Britain; the increasing embrace of American popular culture; the prominence of gender roles; and the popularity of transport and war themed toys for boys.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Edith Cowan University Museum of Childhood, 2008
|Tagged with:||clothing, children, antarctic expeditions, exploration, cards, trousers|
|Themes this item is part of:||William Boyd Childhood Collection, Antarctica Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|Tertiary Classification:||collecting cards|
|Inscriptions:||On reverse of card: 67. CAPTAIN ROBERT FALCON SCOTT / (1868-1912). Gallant, attractive explorer - / reached the South Pole. / A Man of Stamina / This is the sign of the / quality you want... Look for / it on the pocket of every pair of / Stamina / SELF-SUPPORTING / TROUSERS / FOR MEN AND BOYS.|
|User:||Mr William (Bill) Boyd, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
|Manufactured For:||Stamina Clothing Co., Australia, circa 1950s|
|Person Depicted:||Robert Scott|