Search the collections
Mug - Women on Farms Gathering, Benalla, 2005 Reg. No: HT 21686
- Ceramic mug distributed to participants at the 2005 Benalla Women on Farms Gathering. This mug was part of a registration bag that contained a number of flyers from sponsors and details of the weekend events and local attractions.
The mug is a very practical recurring ritual of the Gatherings, whereby each participant is given a mug and must then use it for all catering events over the weekend, thus eliminating the need to hire extra crockery and someone to wash-up. It is also a souvenir to take home, reminding the participant of the Gathering weekend.
- White ceramic mug featuring a red logo and text.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This mug was given to all participants at the 2005 Benalla Women on Farms Gathering. A key feature that unites all Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings is the tradition of giving gifts and souvenirs to participants. These gifts are usually handed to participants at the beginning of the Gathering during registration, and range from practical items - such as this mug - to other assorted items that are associated with the region that the Gathering is held, such as local foodstuffs and handcrafted goods. This tradition of gift-giving allows the local organising committee to showcase their region's produce, as well as to make their guests feel welcome from the outset of the Gathering weekend.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions, 2008
|Dimensions:||93 mm (Height), 120 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||politics, agriculture, rural life, gender issues, work, farms, women s associations, women on farms gatherings, mugs|
|Themes this item is part of:||Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, 2005 Benalla WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Inscriptions:||Transfer printed, coloured ink: "Department for Victorian Communities / take time to smell the roses WOFG Benella 2005 / Victoria The Place to Be".|
|Organisation Depicted:||Victorian Women on Farms Gathering, Benalla, Victoria, Australia, 2005|
|Place & Date of Event:||Benalla, Victoria, Australia, 04 Apr 2005-06 Apr 2005|