Search the collections
Similar items over time
Brick - Handmade, 'Willis Vale' Homestead, Greensborough, Victoria, 1839 Reg. No: HT 21866
- Red handmade brick which was used in the construction of Willis Vale in Greensborough in 1839. The entire homestead was made from brick made and cooked on the property. The home was finally destroyed by a bush fire in the 1960s, the evidence of which is visible on this sample which was salvaged from the property by Gary Partington, the last of the family to be born and raised on the property.
- Red/orange rectangular brick with blackening on along one edge.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Gary Partington, 2008
|Dimensions:||65 mm (Height), 100 mm (Width), 230 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||rural life, bushfires, bricks|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Batman Tree, 'Willis Vale' Homestead, Greenborough (1839-1973), Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection, Whatmough Collection|
|Primary Classification:||BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION|
|Secondary Classification:||Walls & Cladding|
|Place & Date Made:||Greensborough, Victoria, Australia, 1839|
|Original Owner:||Mr Meagher, Greensborough, Victoria, Australia, 1839
The 'Willis Vale' homestead was original built be Meagher.
|Past Owner:||Ellen Partington, Victoria, Australia
Charles and Ellen Parrington lived at Willis Vale with their son William Charles during the time that Robert Whatmough ran his Nursery from the property.
They acquired 'Willis Vale' around the early 1870s.
|Past Owner:||Charles Partington, Victoria, Australia|
|Past Owner:||William Partington, Victoria, Australia
James was the son of Ellen & Charles Partington who owned the homestead ad property called Willis Vale. He later took over the property himself and lived there with his wife Jess.
|Collector:||Mr Gary Partington, Victoria, Australia
Gary Partington is the grandson of William James Partington and was the last member of the family to be raised at 'Willis Vale'. He collected this brick from the site of the old 'Willis Vale' homestead.