Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Exterior View of Kodak Factory Site, Abbotsford, Victoria, 1928 Reg. No: MM 96554
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the exterior of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1928.
The photograph features a close view of the Yarra River with trees on the banks in the foreground and the Kodak factory in the background. The building to the left of the photograph with the chimney is the Power House. This building provided all of the power and refrigeration for the factory. A second taller chimney was built probably in the 1930s and was then removed by 1955. To the right is the Paper Coating Building where photographic paper was coated and photographic emulsions were manufactured. The tank visible on the top of the tower of this building contained distilled water which was used in manufacturing. The building further along to the right is the Glass Plate Building, where glass plates were made.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Photograph of the exterior of a factory site. The photograph features a close view of a river with trees on the banks in the foreground and the factory in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||169 mm (Height), 230 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, manufacturing plants, trees, photography|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1928
A copy of this photo appears in an album (yet to be registered) which has a caption of 1928. Ed Wood & John Mitcham, former Kodak executives, have also dated this photograph to between 1900 and 1930 because the second chimney that was built around the 1930s, does not appear in the image. The original chimney, which was removed by 1955, is still intact.
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1920-1929
Ed Wood & John Mitcham, former Kodak executives, have dated this photograph to between 1900 and 1930 because the second chimney that was built around in the 1930s, does not appear in the image. The original chimney, which was removed by 1955, is still intact.