Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Kodak Factory, Garden & Staff, Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1930s Image Reg. No: MM 96557

Summary:
Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the exterior of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1930s.

The photograph features factory buildings and a chimney to the left, and a garden setting with garden beds, trees, lawn, and tennis courts bordered by a fence to the right of the view. The foreground of this photograph shows the staff gardens, with staff pictured sitting on garden benches in front and behind the tennis court fence. This area was close to the canteen, where staff took their breaks. By 1948, this garden area had been built over with the Glass Plate Building. The low fibro and timber building at left is the maintenance workshops. Behind this the Power House chimney is visible. This was the second chimney and was probably built in the 1930s. The Power House provided all of the power and refrigeration for the Kodak factory. To the right is the Paper Coating Building where photographic paper was coated and photographic emulsions were manufactured. The tank visible on the top of the tower of this building contained distilled water which was used in manufacturing.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description:
Black and white gelatin photograph printed on medium weight paper, landscape format with a white border.
Description Of Content:
The photograph features the exterior of a factory. To the left of the image in the background are factory buildings and two chimneys. Dominating the image in the foreground and to the right is a garden setting with garden beds, trees, lawn and tennis court. Staff are sitting on garden benches in the garden in front and behind the tennis court fence.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Acknowledgement:
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 163 mm (Height), 196 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: chimneys, factories, fences, gardens, manufacturing plants, staff, trees, photography, making history - kodak collection
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse
Primary Classification: MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY
Secondary Classification: Photographic Products
Tertiary Classification: factory exterior views
Inscriptions: Back, top left hand corner, handwritten, black ink: 'Gardens at Abbotsford factory / -1948'

Back, handwritten, pencil: 'Doubt that 1948 is correct / this area was covered by the Plate Dept which / was constructed before 1948'
Format: Photograph: Black & White
Place & Date Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s

Inscription suggests that the garden area featured in this photograph was built over with a new building in 1948. Ed Woods and John Mitcham, ex-Kodak executives, suggest that the new building was constructed earlier than 1948. The chimney was thought to have been built in the 1930s.
Organisation Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s

Inscription suggests that the garden area featured in this photograph was built over with a new building in 1948. Ed Woods and John Mitcham, ex-Kodak executives, suggest that the new building was constructed earlier than 1948. The chimney was thought to have been built in the 1930s.

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No