Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Bond Store at Kodak Factory, Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1940s Reg. No: MM 96566
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the Bond Store at the Kodak Australasia factory site in Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1940s.
The Bond Store was used to store pure alcohol for use in photographic product manufacturing. Many of the chemical additives in the manufacturing were soluble in alcohol, therefore pure alcohol was stored on site. The alcohol needed securely controlled access due to government controls on it. A complex system of pipes linked the Bond Store building to nearby structures. These pipes carried distilled water, chilled water, steam (the large lagged pipe) and brine (which was used to set the emulsion) around the factory site to manufacturing buildings.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper, portrait format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- Photograph of a factory building and shows a complex system of pipes linking the building to nearby structures. A sign on the building warns: "Danger. Smoking Strictly Prohibited". Undeveloped land can be seen in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||104 mm (Height), 77 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bond stores, buildings, factories, manufacturing plants, pipes, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, handwritten, pencil: 'Bond Store, Abbotsford'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940s|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940s|