Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd,1886 Austral Laboratory Building, Abbotsford, Victoria, 1927-1930 Reg. No: MM 96579
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1927-1930.
This photograph features the 1886 Austral Laboratory building which curves around Southhampton Crescent, Abbotsford, on the Kodak factory site. This building was originally part of the Austral Plate Company factory site which Thomas Baker, a pharmaceutical chemist, established on his residential property, Yarra Grange, in 1884. This building was used to manufacture photographic plates. In 1894, under the partnership name Baker and Rouse, this company was owned by Thomas Baker and accountant, John Rouse. In the first decade of the 20th century the company and factory site was bought and operated by Kodak. In the late 1950s Kodak moved from Abbotsford to a new factory site at Coburg on the northern outskirts of Melbourne.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on light weight Kodak paper, landscape format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- Photograph of the exterior of a factory site. The view looks across at the building from a road which is perpendicular to the building. Four of the five sections of a multi-storey brick building are visible in this photograph, as well as the side of the building at far right. A gas street lamp is on the corner of the two roads, and bluestone guttering lines the road in the foreground. A footpath is visible on the left on the edge of a vacant block opposite the factory building.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||122 mm (Height), 176 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, footpaths, manufacturing plants, roads, street lighting, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse Collection, Abbotsford Workshops, Kodak Australasia|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, printed, grey ink, multiple examples on the diagonal: 'THIS PAPER MANUFACTURED BY KODAK'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1927-1930
This date is based on other similar photographs in the collection of this same site. Note that this photograph was taken in the late 1920s but this print was made in the second half of the 20th century.
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1927-1930
This date is based on other similar photographs in the collection of this same site. Note that this photograph was taken in the late 1920s but this print was made in the second half of the 20th century. A previous estimation was late 1920s.