Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Kodachrome Building & Delivery Van, Abbotsford, Victoria,1960-1965 Image Reg. No: MM 96580

Summary:
Colour photograph of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1960-1965.

This photograph features the Kodachrome building on Southhampton Crescent in Abbotsford. A 1961, yellow EJ Holden panel van painted in the Kodak colours and logo, is parked in the front of the building. Two other cars are also parked nearby. Trees are in the foreground, and pipes can be seen between buildings. These carried distilled water, chilled water, steam (the large lagged pipe) and brine (which was used to set the emulsion) to manufacturing buildings.

Kodachrome processing started in the Kodak factory at Abbotsford in 1936. This was after Dr Neil Lewis and Mr Jack Monteith visited Kodak in Rochester to establish the requirements for setting up the facility. A new four storey building to be known as the ?Kodachrome Building? was built for £300,000. Mr Stan Hawkins was the manager of the new department and remained so until the 1960s. 35mm slide, 16mm and 8mm movie films, as well as duplicates of motion picture films were processed at the facility.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description:
Colour photograph, printed on medium weight Kodak paper, landscape format with a white border.
Description Of Content:
Photograph of a factory site. This photograph features a building with several cars parked nearby, including a yellow 1961 EJ Holden panel van painted in Kodak colours and logo. Trees are in the foreground, and pipes can be seen between the buildings.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Acknowledgement:
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 125 mm (Height), 180 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: cars, delivery vehicles, factories, manufacturing plants, pipes, research, trees, photography
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse
Primary Classification: MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY
Secondary Classification: Photographic Products
Tertiary Classification: factory exterior views
Inscriptions: Back, handwritten, black ink: 'Kodachrome building / Abbotsford, 1948' ['1948' is crossed through with blue ink which says "1962 or later"]

Back, handwritten, pencil: 'Definitely not 1948 - more likely 1961 -2 / because (i) EJ (1961) Panel Van / (ii) Personnel Dept (bottom right hand corner) / constructed late 50s between Kodachrome Bdg + / Silver Nitrate dept: / cottage / Yarra Grange cnr L.H.Side / K. ????'
Format: Photograph: Colour
Place & Date Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1960-1965

According to former Kodak executives Ed Wood & John Mitcham, the Kodachrome building shown in this photograph was constructed before 1955, probably around 1950. The 'Kodak' panel van is a 1961 Holden EJ model.
Organisation Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1960-1965

According to former Kodak executives Ed Wood & John Mitcham, the Kodachrome building shown in this photograph was constructed before 1955, probably around 1950. The 'Kodak' panel van is a 1961 Holden EJ model.

Comments

Rodney Prusa Posted on 06 Jun 2012 12:54 PM
Two small points of note:
The EJ Holden panel van was introduced in late 1962.
As the front of the vehicle is not visible in the photo it is not possible to say definitely that it is an EJ - it could also be an EH (they were virtualy identical apart from the grille and bonnet, so the image could be as late as 1964-65.
Best wishes, Rod

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No