Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, South East Corner of Yarra Grange Cottage & Caretaker's Cottage, Abbotsford, Victoria, 1945-1949 Image Reg. No: MM 96583

Summary:
Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1945-1949.

This photograph shows the south east corner of Yarra Grange cottage, also known as 'the Cottage' or 'the old Cottage'. The Yarra Grange cottage is a bluestone and brick building with a slate roof, and has a double storey section that is completely covered with ivy. A low shrub garden surrounds the cottage.

Yarra Grange was the original home of Thomas Baker. He was the founder of the Austral Plate Company, which was a precursor of Kodak Australasia. At right there is a weatherboard building which was the caretaker's cottage. In the 1940s the caretaker was Mrs Green. At far right is another ivy covered building and various chimneys including a brick chimney painted with the words 'KODAK'.

The Yarra Grange cottage housed the Kodak directors' dining room during the time that the photograph was taken. Gladys Clarke was the chef in the directors' dining room, and her husband Henry Clarke worked in silver recovery and was later a gardener at Kodak. The cottage was also home to Gladys Clarke, Henry and their son Henry, who was known as Harry. They lived in the 'Yarra Grange' house on the Kodak factory site from 1938, when Harry was 12 years old, until 1952, when he was 26 years old.

The Coating Technical section, led by Les Williams, occupied the south east section of Yarra Grange cottage from the early 1950s until the Coburg factory was built in 1960-61. The north east corner of Yarra Grange was used as the foremen's lunch room, with Mrs Green as cook, until the 1950s when the foremen's lunch room was constructed over the canteen.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description:
Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper, portrait format with a white border.
Description Of Content:
This photograph shows the corner of a bluestone and brick building with a slate roof and window to the left and a double storey section that is completely covered with ivy in the middle of the photograph. A low shrub garden surrounds the cottage. At right there is a weatherboard building, and at far right is another ivy covered building and various chimneys including a brick chimney painted with the words 'KODAK'.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Acknowledgement:
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 200 mm (Height), 166 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: buildings, chimneys, factories, gardens, manufacturing plants, photography, making history - kodak collection
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse Collection
Primary Classification: MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY
Secondary Classification: Photographic Products
Tertiary Classification: factory exterior views
Inscriptions: Back, handwritten, pencil: 'S.East Corner of Yarra Grange / Weatherboard to right - caretakers cottage / Mrs Green (?) was the cook for the foremen's / lunch room which was in N.east Corner / of Yarra Grange until Foremen's Lunch Room / constructed over the canteen in 1950's. / Yarra Grange was more commonly known as / 'the Cottage'. Les Williams and his Coating / Technical section occupied the S. east section / of 'the Cottage' from early 50's until Coburg / built in 1960-61.'
Format: Photograph: Black & White
Place & Date Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1945-1949

The Coburg factory site was opened in 1960-61 so this is the latest possible date that this photograph could have been taken. It is more likely to have been taken in the 1940s or 1950s.
Organisation Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1945-1948

The Coburg factory site was opened in 1960-61 so this is the latest possible date that this photograph could have been taken. It is more likely to have been taken in the 1940s or 1950s.
Organisation Named: Austral Plate Company, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia
Related Person (See Comments): Mr Thomas Baker - Austral Plate Company, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No