Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Two Men in a Flooded Doorway, Abbotsford, Victoria, 1934 Reg. No: MM 96596
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the Yarra River in flood at the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1934.
The photograph features two men walking through a doorway of a flooded factory building in thigh high flood water. The Yarra River was prone to flooding, and despite major works designed to manage water flow in the 1920s, the river still experienced a major flood in November 1934. Such floods caused damage to the Kodak factory and potentially washed away into the river some of the materials and chemicals that were used in the manufacturing process.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on light weight paper, portrait format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- View taken from a high vantage point of two men walking through a doorway during a flood. The water in the doorway and inside the building is thigh high. The roof of a building is at right, while at left are the brick walls of the building they are exiting from. At left in the foreground is the round wall of a brick chimney. One man wears a white singlet and long pants while the other just wears long pants.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||115 mm (Height), 160 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||chimneys, factories, floods, roofs, rivers, photography|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1934|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1934|
http://www.yarrariver.info/history.htm - accessed 16/12/2008
http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/climate/levelthree/c20thc/flood4.htm - accessed 16/12/2008