Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Organisation Depicted Abbotsford, Australia
Photograph - Two Men in Mixing Room, Kodak Australasia Factory, Abbotsford or Burnley, 1920-1940 Reg. No: MM 96608
- Black and white, sepia toned silver gelatin photograph of the interior of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Melbourne, circa early to mid 20th century.
Two men are mixing chemicals in the Mixing Room in the Kodak factory processing laboratories. They are mixing processing solution, ie developer and fixer, both to be sold in bottles as products and for Kodak's internal use. The location could be at Abbotsford or the Burnley factory site. The chemicals are being mixed in wooden tubs. By the time the factory moved to Coburg in the late 1950s, only stainless steel was used in the processing areas. The men are also using little safety equipment, whereas in the modern Coburg factory the safety standards were very high.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, sepia toned, silver gelatin photograph printed on medium weight paper, portrait format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- Two men mixing chemicals in a laboratory. The chemicals are held in wooden tubs at left. Hoses and pipes are attached to the walls at left and to the rear. One man is standing on the ground level with a hose in a tub. The other man is standing on a raised walkway with a metal bucket in his hand. A ladder leads up to the walkway. Both men wear aprons but have no other safety equipment.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||143 mm (Height), 100 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, manufacturing, photochemicals, factory workers, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Abbotsford Workshops, Kodak Australasia|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory interior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, blue ink, top middle: 'MIXING ROOM'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1920-1940|