Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Repeat Darkroom, Abbotsford, Victoria, 1920-1940 Reg. No: MM 96609
- Black and white, sepia toned silver gelatin photograph of the interior of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1920-1940.
The darkroom features two enlarging machines on the bench to the right and bottles of developing and fixing chemicals on the left. Kodak produced developer and fixer in the Mixing Room for both commercial sale and internal use. In a trough to the left there are also developing trays for individual print processing. The darkroom was possibly for commercial orders or internal use.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, sepia toned, silver gelatin photograph printed on medium weight paper, landscape format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- The photograph features photographic equipment in a darkroom. To the right along one wall is a bench with two photographic enlargers. There are three stools beneath the bench. To the left, there is a trough with a tap with a hose attached. In the trough there are seven glass bottles and next to them is a stack of trays. Above the trough there is a shelf with a cup, bottles and a clock. There is a stool in front of the trough.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||92 mm (Height), 136 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||photochemicals, factories, manufacturing, photographic equipment, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse, Abbotsford Workshops, Kodak Australasia|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory interior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, handwritten, black pen: 'REPEAT DARKROOM'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1920-1940|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1920-1940|