Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Introduction Of New Movie Projector, Albert Hall, Brisbane, Queensland, circa 1924 Reg. No: MM 96636
- Black and white, sepia toned silver gelatin photograph of a significant occasion, the introduction of a new movie projector at Albert Hall (since demolished, originally located between the Uniting Church, Ann and Albert streets and the SGIO building), Brisbane, Queensland, circa 1924.
Featured prominently on the walls of the hall is signage advertising Kodak products.
In the front row, centre, is Andy Burnett (hat on knee) and seated at his left is his wife. Four rows back, seated behind a woman in white, is J.J Rouse. John Joseph Rouse was an accountant who went into partnership with pharmaceutical chemist, Thomas Baker, in 1884 to develop the photographic manufacturing company, Baker and Rouse Pty Ltd. The company then merged with Kodak Limited in 1908 to become Kodak Australasia.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, sepia toned photograph, printed on medium weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Group photograph of approximately twelve rows of people seated in a hall. The seating is organised in three groupings with the majority of the people seated in the centre and along two aisles. Along the walls are mounted photographs and signage advertising Kodak products. Above the group, suspended from the ceiling is a large, "K".
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||151 mm (Height), 207 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||events, portraits, films, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||staff events|
|Inscriptions:||Front, lower right hand corner of photograph, printed in white ink: 'Photo/K W. Thiel/ Bris'.|
|People Depicted:||Rouse, JJ; Burnett, Andy|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Date of Event:||Kodak Australasia, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, circa 1924|
|Photographer:||F. W Thiel, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, circa 1924
The photographer's name and state of company is on the bottom left hand corner of the print.