Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Harrow, United Kingdom
Photograph - Kodak Limited, Edgar Rouse & Staff at Kodak Sports Ground, Harrow, United Kingdom, 1950 Reg. No: MM 96643
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of staff at the re-opening of the Kodak Sports Ground, Harrow, London, Saturday 3 June 1950.
In the foreground, three people are seated. The two people on the right are Mr and Mrs Stewart. Mrs Stewart was the secretary of the Kodak manager, Ernest Amor. Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd Chief Managing Director, Edgar Rouse, is seated on the left.
Edgar Rouse was the only son of John (JJ) Rouse, who was managing director of Kodak Australasia from 1908 until his death in 1938. After JJ Rouse's death, Edgar Rouse succeeded him as chairman and chief managing director of Kodak Australasia until his own retirement in 1959.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper, landscape format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- In the foreground of the photograph, seated on wicker chairs in an outdoor setting, are two men with a woman seated between them. The man on the left is facing the camera and is wearing a suit and glasses. The man on the right is facing towards the man on the left and is wearing a houndstooth jacket and pants with a tie and white shirt. The woman is smiling at the camera and wearing a floral print dress. In the middle distance are men and women lounging in deck chairs positioned against a low brick wall. In the far distance is a recreational oval, to the left is a man in a wheelchair while men and women are walking, standing and seated facing towards the oval.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||161 mm (Height), 209 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||staff, events, photography, recreation activities|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||staff events|
|Inscriptions:||Back, handwritten, green ink: 'Taken on Saturday June 3rd/ at the re-opening of the Kodak/ Harrow Sports ground with/ Mr & Mrs Stewart (she is Ernest/ Amor, the Manager's Secretary)'.
Back, handwritten, blue ink: '(1950'.
Back, bottom, printed, red ink: 'KODAK LTD,/ FACTORY PHOTOGRAPHIC SERVICE/ PHOTO BY F. WHITE/ REF. NO. M.2551.'
|People Depicted:||Stewart, Mrs; Stewart, Mr; Rouse, Edgar|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak Ltd., Harrow, England, Great Britain, 03 Jun 1950|
|References:||http://www.harrow.gov.uk for listing of Kodak Sports Ground at Harrow, United Kingdom|