Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Addressed To Abbotsford, Australia
Letter - Airgraph Letter, Private Jimmy Jones to Chairman of Kodak Comforts Fund, 11 Nov 1942 Reg. No: HT 21480
- Airgraph letter with envelope and microfilm attached from Private Jimmy Jones addressed to the Chairman of the Kodak Comforts Fund, 11 November 1942. The Comforts Fund was based at the Kodak factory at Abbotsford, an inner industrial suburb of Melbourne.
The letter is a general greeting with Private Jones mentioning the Comforts Fund Bulletin Number 10, and the number of Kodak employees serving in the Armed Forces. Private Jones notes that there isn't much space on the airgraph and that 'we are all rather intrigued about this new form of letter', suggesting that the airgraph had only recently been introduced.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This letter is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Letter printed on medium weight paper from microfilm. The microfilm is attached via a staple to the letter. The envelope is made from brown paper and bears the stamp, 'Airgraph Letter'.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||130 mm (Height), 102 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||war effort, wars conflicts, war service, correspondence, photography, letters, soldiers, fundraising, world war ii 1939-1945, soldiers comforts, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Inscriptions:||Envelope, front, stamp, black ink: 'AIRGRAPH LETTER'
Envelope, front, stamp, black ink: 'POST OFFICE COMMUNICATIONS AUSTRALIA'
|Addressed To:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 11 Nov 1942|