Search the collections
Money Box - Victorian Savings Bank, circa 1900 Reg. No: HT 21496
- 'Victorian Savings Bank' nickel plated money box with swing handle, (no key).
The Savings Bank of Port Phillip was established in 1842. After a number of mergers, it became known as the State Savings Bank in the early 1900s, before becoming part of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in 1990.
- Nickel plated metal money box in the form of a small safe, with an engraved plate across the front. Hinged flat metal handle on top, barrel lock on front, coin slot on right hand side and circular slot for rolled bank notes on left hand side.
|Dimensions:||83 mm (Height), 112 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||money boxes, banking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, The Berry Family Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Banking & Finance|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Engraved on front plate: "THE SAVINGS BANK / 216 VICTORIA".
Stamped on top: "W. F. BURNS CO. / CHICAGO / PATENT APPLIED FOR".
Stamped on left: "PAPER"
Stamped on right: "COIN".
|Manufacturer:||W.F. Burns Co, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, circa 1900|