Search the collections
Medal - Royal Visit of Queen Elizabeth II, Schools, Government of Victoria, Australia, 1954 Reg. No: NU 48212
- Commemorative medal commissioned by the Victorian state government as a souvenir of the Royal Visit by Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh to Victoria in 1954. The medal was presented to all Victorian school children. It was struck by Stokes & Sons of Melbourne.
The Queen and Prince Philip visited Victoria from 24 February to 9 March 1954. The first reigning monarch to tour Australia, she arrived in Sydney on 3 February 1954 and departed the country from Fremantle on 1 April 1954. The Royal party visited all the capital cities apart from Darwin, and over 70 country towns.
- Bronze medal, hanging from a rectangular bar. The obverse of the medal features profile portraits of the Queen and Prince Philip.
- Statement Of Significance:
- A number of souvenir medals were created to mark the Queen's visit to Australia in 1954. Not only was she the first reigning monarch to visit Australia, it had been 20 years since the previous royal visit: the Duke of Gloucester's visit to Australia, primarily to take part in Melbourne/ Victoria's centenary celebrations.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kalamunda & Districts Historical Society, 2008
|Dimensions:||50 mm (Height), 26 mm (Diameter)|
|Tagged with:||celebrations, royal visit to australia 1954, royal visits, schools|
|Themes this item is part of:||HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926- ), Government of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921- ), Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||royal visits|
|Obverse Description:||Busts of Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh. Around, QUEEN ELIZABETH II : DUKE OF EDINBURGH. Beneath, STOKES MELB|
|Reverse Description:||E II R/ ROYAL VISIT/ 1954/ VICTORIA|
|Shape:||round with bar|
|Issued By:||Government of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1954|
|Mint:||Stokes & Sons (Mint), Australia, 1954|
|Person Depicted:||HM Queen Elizabeth II, England, Great Britain|
|Person Depicted:||HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, England, Great Britain|
This item is part of the following themes: