Search the collections
Preliminary Sketch - Landscape Garden Plan, W. van Dok, Hand Drawn, Glen Waverley, 1999 Reg. No: HT 21896
- This preliminary sketch of a water efficent, drought tolerant domestic garden design; hand drafted by Wendy van Dok in 1999. The plan was produced by Wendy during her participation in a landscape design course at Holmesglen TAFE in 1998 and 1999. The donor used this plan for the redesign of her own garden. Wendy van Dok's gardem was featured in the Museum's 'Water Smart Home project'.
- Paper based A3 sized plan. Hand drawn plan comprising images and annotations. Coloured pencil and ink.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This landscape garden plan is practical and personal response to water scarcity and its impact on Australian gardens and their cultural value. The donor's plan highlights how an awareness of environmental concerns and issues can be reflected in landscape design. The plan is historically significant in that it is representative of the value of gardens in Australian culture and how this has had to be rethought and renegotiated in light of increasing water scarcity. The plan is hand drafted which is also significant as the majority of this type of landscape planning and design is now computer aided.
After the completion of this plan and its practical implementation the donor established a landscape design business called Water Efficient Garden Scapes. The business was in operation for approximately five years. The water sensitive landscape design business was motivated by a desire to reconnect people to nature in an urban context and to bring wildlife back into urban gardens. This plan was the donor's first water sensitive garden and is significant as it also represents the beginning of her commercial venture.
This landscape garden plan is extremely applicable to the Water Smart Home Project and broader issues of sustainability. The plan is directly connected to a story featured on the Water Smart Home website. It is also representative of responses to environmental issues and to water conservation in a domestic context.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Wendy van Dok, 2008
|Dimensions:||250 mm (Height), 447 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||droughts, urban landscapes, water conservation, -1|
|Themes this item is part of:||Water Smart Home - Project Description, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Water Conservation & Urban Design & Planning|
|Secondary Classification:||Conservation - Water|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten across bottom of plan, green and blue ink: "need new fence 41.18 m all the way along 7/99.5 Shirley Ave Glen Waverly 3150 l. Godfrey". Further handwritten annotations on plan in pencil and pen.|
|Designer:||Wendy van Dok, Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia, 1999|
|Collector:||Water Smart Home Project, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2007|
http://www.4schools1planet.vic.edu.au/ Viewed by LDH 3.12.08
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/water_storages/stage_3a_water_restrictions_-_questions_and_answers/vehicle_washing.asp Viewed by LDH 3.12.08