Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Abbotsford, Australia
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Steam Boilers in Machinery Hall, Power House Building, Kodak Factory, Coburg, circa 1958 Reg. No: MM 97758
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph of a row of three packaged oil-fired steam boilers being installed in the Machinery Hall of the Power House Building 11, Kodak Factory, Coburg, circa 1958.
The three packaged oil-fired steam boilers being installed generated steam at 70 Kpa for heating and air conditioning throughout the growing Coburg site. Along with two electric motor driven centrifugal refrigeration compressors (the photograph shows preparations being made for their installation at the far end of the hall), these boilers were the first equipment to be installed in the Machinery Hall for the factory start-up period 1958-60. Following the planned building of the Boiler Hall and the installation of two oil-fired refractory boilers during 1960-61, these temporary boilers were removed from the site.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white gelatin photograph with a white border on top and right hand side. The photograph has been removed from an album and there are remnants of grey/brown paper adhered to the back.
- Description Of Content:
- A row of oil-fired steam boilers to the left of the photograph and to the right, pipes from the engines descend into a space under the flooring. Workmen can be seen at far right, at the end of the building, installing equipment and flooring.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||186 mm (Height), 245 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, manufacturing plants, power houses, staff, photography|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory interior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, stamp, purple ink, middle: 'KODAK ABBOTSFORD [PARTLY OBSCURED] / TESTING DEPARTMENT'
Back, pencil, lower middle: 'Packaged [rest of line is obscured] / Power [rest of line is obscured]'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; See Dimensions|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, circa 1958
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, circa 1958|