Search the collections
Calendar - Eastern Treatment Plant, Melbourne Water, 2006 Reg. No: HT 22036
- 2006 Calendar issued by Melbourne Water with each month illustrated by a primary school child. The theme is "I Love Living Here" which promotes the protection of Melbourne's rivers and creeks.
The primary schools involved in the 2006 calendar project were: Carrum Downs, Chelsea Heights, Chelsea, Patterson Lakes, and Seaford North.
The calendar also promotes the Eastern Treatment Plant, and provides information about the work of Melbourne Water and the Western Treatment Plant.
- A4 'Silk Matt Paper', deemed to be environmentally friendly, multicoloured printing, bound with two staples with a single punched hole to enable hanging. Calendar is printed in the 'vertical' mode.
- Statement Of Significance:
- These items were collected during the Water Smart Home project and document the developing strategies used by the Victorian Government, water authorities, private industries and communities in confronting the emerging water crisis from 1995 to 2007. It captures the increasing urgency to address the growing imbalance between water supply and demand. It demonstrates a shift in government strategy away from an investment in major infrastructure to a campaign focused on behaviour change methods to reduce water consumption and secure Melbourne's water future.
An interesting feature of this material is the focus on gardening. Prior to water restrictions, Melbourne households used up to 50% of potable water for gardening - a significant focus of the public education campaign was therefore directed to this popular cultural activity and offered many ways to preserve this activity within the limits of Melbourne's water supply.
The Smart Water Fund was set up as part of the 'Our Water Our Future' campaign to support innovative water conservation projects, including Museum Victoria's Water Smart Home project. This material was collected as part of the Water Smart Home project. It shows how the 'Our Water Our Future' campaign infiltrated households in Melbourne, and documents the broader community messages and education strategies.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions
|Dimensions:||299 mm (Height), 218 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||behavioural changes, conservation, gardening, government policies, industrial design, innovations, national water week, natural environment, recycling, waste, water, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||Water Smart Home - Project Description, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Engineering Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW), Melbourne, Victoria|
|Secondary Classification:||Conservation - Water|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Text, printed front: 2006/CALENDAR/Eastern/Treatment Plant MelbourneWater.|
|Author:||Melbourne Water, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2007|
|Organisation Named:||Western Treatment Plant, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2007|
|Organisation Named:||Eastern Treatment Plant, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2006|
This item is part of the following themes: