Search the collections
Booklet - George Palmer, 'Industrial Assurance', The Actuarial Society of Australasia, 1948 Reg. No: HT 22095
- Paper titled 'Industrial Assurance - a Comparison and Contrast' written by George Palmer and published by the Actuarial Society of Australasia in 1948. George Palmer migrated from England on the RMS Orion to Melbourne with his wife Gertrude and two daughters in March 1947.
George was an actuary, born in 1904. He migrated to Australia with his family after applying successfully for a position in Melbourne in the Industrial Department in the Colonial Mutual Life Insurance Society. He was an early member of the Actuarial Society of Australasia.
- A5 size 24 page booklet on off-white paper with two staple binding. Page numbering commences at page147, suggesting that the booklet is part of series or appendix to another publication. The booklet is entitled: The Actuarial Society of Australasia, Fifty-second Session, 1948, Industrial Assurance - a Comparison and a Contrast. By G.B. Palmer, F.J.A. Booklet contains a historical overview of the Industrial Assurance industry in Australia and the united Kingdom, including the differences between the two
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection provides an invaluable record of one family's migration experience, from the first seed of desire to leave England, to the securing of employment, application processes, packing, departure, journey and immediate arrival in Melbourne. The journal is particularly rich in terms of its detailed account of daily shipboard life, including the descriptions of cabins, decks, interior spaces, facilities, lighting, food, mail systems, weather, ports, and activities. While not the actual original document, it is an immediate copy, contemporary to its time and reflects the significance of this rite of passage for the thousands of migrants who arrived in Australia during the post-war period. The photo album provides an evocative complimentary visual record of the experience.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Libby Wattis, 2008
|Dimensions:||135 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||working life, migration settlement, english immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||George Palmer, English Migrant, 1947, Migration Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Settlement - Employment|
|Tertiary Classification:||reference materials|
|Author:||George Palmer, Brighton, Victoria, Australia, 1948|
|Publisher:||Actuarial Society of Australasia, Australia, 1948|