Similar items over time
Medal - Australian Bicentenary Schools Medal, Australia, 1988 Reg. No: NU 48213
- Cupro-nickel medal commissioned by the Commonwealth of Australia to commemorate the Australian Bicentenary in 1988, designed by Michael Meszaros and M. Tracey and minted by the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra.
This medal was presented to school children to commemorate the Australian Bicentenary in 1988. The obverse was designed by Melbourne artist Michael Meszaros and depicts school children climbing steps with the Southern Cross in the sky and the word 'EDUCATION' below. The reverse, designed by M. Tracey, features the Bicentennial logo, a map of Australia formed by intersecting diagonal lines.
- A cupronickel medal struck by the Commonwealth at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra for distribution to school children to commemorate the Australian Bicentenary in 1988. The medal obverse was designed by the Melbourne artist Michael Meszaros and depicts school children climbing steps with the Southern Cross in the sky and the word EDUCATION below. The reverse features the Bicentennial logo, a map of Australia formed by diagonal lines.
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Royal Australian Mint, 1988
|Dimensions:||40 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||26.76 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||australian bicentenary 1788-1988, celebrations, school children, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Michael Meszaros, Sculptor & Medal Artist (1945-), Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Royal Australian Mint, Deakin, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||bicentenary of australia|
|Series:||Australian Commemorative Medals|
|Obverse Description:||Students, the youngest, on the lowest steps, accompanied by parents, walking up steps towards Southern Cross; below, EDUCATION|
|Reverse Description:||At centre Bicentennial map of Australia logo; around above, AUSTRALIAN BICENTENARY 1788 - 1988|
|Issued By:||Australian Commonwealth Government, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1988|
|Mint:||Royal Australian Mint, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1988|
|Artist:||Michael Meszaros, Kew, Victoria, Australia, 1988|
This item is part of the following themes: