Search the collections
Similar items over time
Booklet - 'Working together to save water', Victorian Government, October 2003 Reg. No: HT 22067 2
- Booklet - 'Working together to save water', published by the Department of Sustainability and Environment, October 2003. 18 page, A5 illustrated booklet focused on the Government strategy being undertaken to 'secure our water future'. The booklet includes the following: a foreword by the Minster for Water, John Thwaites; the Green Paper 'Securing our water future'; water resources; 'Water Smart City'; water recycling and reclamation; rives and the environment; public ownership of water authorities; the Werribee Plains project; stormwater management; and the Smart Water Fund.
- A5 stapled booklet, 18 pages, illustrated with photographs.
- Statement Of Significance:
- These items were collected during the Water Smart Home project and document the developing strategies used by the Victorian Government, water authorities, private industries and communities in confronting the emerging water crisis from 1995 to 2007. It captures the increasing urgency to address the growing imbalance between water supply and demand. It demonstrates a shift in government strategy away from an investment in major infrastructure to a campaign focused on behaviour change methods to reduce water consumption and secure Melbourne's water future.
An interesting feature of this material is the focus on gardening. Prior to water restrictions, Melbourne households used up to 50% of potable water for gardening - a significant focus of the public education campaign was therefore directed to this popular cultural activity and offered many ways to preserve this activity within the limits of Melbourne's water supply.
The Smart Water Fund was set up as part of the 'Our Water Our Future' campaign to support innovative water conservation projects, including Museum Victoria's Water Smart Home project. This material was collected as part of the Water Smart Home project. It shows how the 'Our Water Our Future' campaign infiltrated households in Melbourne, and documents the broader community messages and education strategies.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions
|Dimensions:||210 mm (Height), 146 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||behavioural changes, conservation, gardening, government policies, industrial design, innovations, national water week, natural environment, recycling, waste, water|
|Themes this item is part of:||Water Smart Home - Project Description, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Engineering Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Conservation - Water|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Inscription on front: 'Working together to save water', 'Our Water Our Future'
Inscription on back: "For more information visit: www.ourwater.vic.gov.au or call 136 186"
|Publisher:||Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oct 2003|
|Author:||Honourable John Thwaites - Victorian Government, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oct 2003|