Search the collections
Plaque - Juventus Soccer Club, 1948-1988 Reg. No: HT 22167
- Plaque which celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Juventus Soccer Club in Melbourne. It was presented to Antonio Ianucci who was the inaugural club president from 1948-49 for about 16 months. Antonio was born in Poggio Picense in L'Aquila Province in 1901. He migrated to Australia in 1938, first settling in Sydney where he stayed for a few months before coming to Melbourne. He was interned as an enemy alien during World War II. After the War he was employed as a waiter at Mario's. He attended the first meeting to form the Juventus Club and was elected its inaugural president in 1948. Under his guidance, Juventus took part in the Third Division championship, winning all their matches and were promoted to the Second Division.
From the 1950s to 1970s, Juventus Soccer Club (now the Brunswick United Juventus Soccer Club) was an important focal point for the Melbourne and Victorian Italian communities. Founded in 1948, its forerunner was the Savoia Club which existed during the 1930s until disbanded after the outbreak of World War II. After a meeting at St Georges' Hall at Sacred Heart church in Carlton a resolution was made to re-establish the Italian soccer team and open player membership to all. Rino Fontana is generally viewed as the club founder. Juventus was decided as a club name of political and regional neutrality, and playing jumpers were to be black and white stripes. The club played its first match in Brighton at Hurlingham Park. The team enjoyed great success but declined during the 1970s due to internal problems, the formation of the National League and their non-competitiveness. Juventus finally joined the national competition in 1984 but was demoted to the State League at the end of 1988. Its home ground in Victoria Street Brunswick was completed in 1989.
- Wood veneer plaque (in portrait format) with black metal plaques at top and bottom with inscriptions and central raised logo. Logo round with laurel wreath around circumference and central shield with black and white vertical stripes and green white and red strip across the top.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Gianni Castellini, Italian Historical Society (Co.As.It), 2006
|Dimensions:||200 mm (Height), 149 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||sporting clubs, italian communities, italian immigration, soccer, social clubs|
|Themes this item is part of:||Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Leisure Collection, Migration Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Ethnicity - Organisations|
|Inscriptions:||Inscriptions: Top: B.U.JUVENTUS Soccer Club/1948-1988/40th Anniversary.
Bottom: "PRESIDENT" 1948 Antonio Ianucci
|Presented To:||Mr Antonio Ianucci, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1988|
|Organisation Named:||Juventus Soccer Club, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1988|
|References:||IHS photographic collection; Egilberto Martin, Juve! Juve! (history of Juventus in Victoria), 1990|