Search the collections
Similar items over time
Brochure - 'Save water and be rewarded', Department of Sustainability and Environment, 2002 Reg. No: HT 22052
- Brochure - 'Save Water and be rewarded', published by the Department of Sustainability and Environment, 2002. The brochure details a government rebate on approved water conservation products to be introduced between 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2003. It includes a letter from John Thwaites, Minister for Water, information about the $20 and $150 rebates and application forms. A list of the urban water suppliers is on the rear.
- 3 fold A4 brochure on low gloss recycled paper.
- Statement Of Significance:
- These items were collected during the Water Smart Home project and document the developing strategies used by the Victorian Government, water authorities, private industries and communities in confronting the emerging water crisis from 1995 to 2007. It captures the increasing urgency to address the growing imbalance between water supply and demand. It demonstrates a shift in government strategy away from an investment in major infrastructure to a campaign focused on behaviour change methods to reduce water consumption and secure Melbourne's water future.
An interesting feature of this material is the focus on gardening. Prior to water restrictions, Melbourne households used up to 50% of potable water for gardening - a significant focus of the public education campaign was therefore directed to this popular cultural activity and offered many ways to preserve this activity within the limits of Melbourne's water supply.
The Smart Water Fund was set up as part of the 'Our Water Our Future' campaign to support innovative water conservation projects, including Museum Victoria's Water Smart Home project. This material was collected as part of the Water Smart Home project. It shows how the 'Our Water Our Future' campaign infiltrated households in Melbourne, and documents the broader community messages and education strategies.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions
|Dimensions:||209 mm (Height), 100 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||behavioural changes, conservation, gardening, government policies, industrial design, innovations, national water week, natural environment, recycling, waste, water, 1 or 1 1, 1 1, 1 and 1 1, or 1 1--, order by 1000, or a a|
|Themes this item is part of:||Water Smart Home - Project Description, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Engineering Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Conservation - Water|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Text, printed:Victoria The Place to Be / Save water and be rewarded.|
|Issued By:||Department of Sustainability and Environment Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2002|
|Author:||Honourable John Thwaites - Victorian Government, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2002|