Search the collections
Poster - 'Noi Donne Italo-Australiane', Italo-Australian Women's Association, 1985 Reg. No: HT 22518
- Poster advertising the First Congress for Italo-Australian Women, held in Sydney on 26 October 1985 and Melbourne on 27 October 1985. Published by the Italo-Australian Women's Association, North Fitzroy, Melbourne, 1985.
It is part of a collection of material obtained from individuals and organisations in the course of developing the 'Trailblazers: Migrant Women Activists' exhibition in the Immigration Museum's Community Gallery from March to July 2008.
- 3-colour poster with photographs and congress information. Printed in red and white with a green border and black and white photographs.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The material in the Trailblazers collection documents the earliest days of migrant women's activism in Victoria, pioneering activity that led to significant policy shifts in Australia and the advent of new, ethnic-specific social services. The collection particularly features individuals and organisations that lobbied for or were active in influencing the formation or reformation of government policies. The material is largely from the Italian, Greek and Turkish communities, in particular, but also reflects broader efforts supporting migrant women services generally, especially campaigns for improvements to domestic violence services, women's health and contraception, working conditions and childcare.
The material in this collection is quite rare, and it is the only collection in Victoria that is concerned exclusively with the activities of migrant women. The objects and documents in this collection have social significance as evidence of the tumultuous period in the 1970s which culminated in the landmark recommendations of the Galbally Report of 1978.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Anna Moo, 2008
|Dimensions:||590 mm (Height), 415 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||women s issues, italian communities, italian immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Life & Trades Collection, Immigration Museum, Migrant Women Activists' Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Ethnicity - Organisations|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on front cover: "NOI DONNE ITALO-AUSTRALIANE / The contribution of Italian women to Australian society / A CONFERENCE / organised by the Italo-Australian Women's Association / Issues to be discussed / EMPLOYMENT / HEALTH / DOMESTIC VIOLENCE / WOMEN OF THE SECOND GENERATION / RIGHTS OF ITALIAN WOMEN IN ITALY TODAY ...." amd further associated text.|
|Publisher:||Italo-Australian Women's Association, North Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, 1985|
|Place & Date of Event:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oct 1985
Held in Sydney on 26 October 1985 and Melbourne on 27 October 1985
|Place & Date Used:||Museum Victoria - Immigration Museum, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Mar 2008 - Jul 2008
Collected during the development of the Trailblazers: Migrant Women Activists' exhibition