Search the collections
Pamphlet - 'Do you need a women's refuge?', Victorian Women's Refuge Group, 1981 Reg. No: HT 22527
- Pamphlet titled 'Do you need a women's refuge?' it was prepared by the Victorian Women's Refuge Group with assistance from the Office of Women's Affairs in 1981. It is part of a collection of material obtained from individuals and organisations in the course of developing the 'Trailblazers: Migrant Women Activists' exhibition in the Immigration Museum's Community Gallery from March to July 2008.
- Bi-fold, black and white with illustration of a woman and two children sitting on a suitcase.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The material in the Trailblazers collection documents the earliest days of migrant women's activism in Victoria, pioneering activity that led to significant policy shifts in Australia and the advent of new, ethnic-specific social services. The collection particularly features individuals and organisations that lobbied for or were active in influencing the formation or reformation of government policies. The material is largely from the Italian, Greek and Turkish communities, in particular, but also reflects broader efforts supporting migrant women services generally, especially campaigns for improvements to domestic violence services, women's health and contraception, working conditions and childcare.
The material in this collection is quite rare, and it is the only collection in Victoria that is concerned exclusively with the activities of migrant women. The objects and documents in this collection have social significance as evidence of the tumultuous period in the 1970s which culminated in the landmark recommendations of the Galbally Report of 1978.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Anonymous, 2008
|Dimensions:||210 mm (Height), 99 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||women s work, women s movement, domestic violence|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Life & Trades Collection, Immigration Museum, Migrant Women Activists' Collection|
|Primary Classification:||POLITICS & PUBLIC PROTEST|
|Secondary Classification:||Social Justice|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Printed, front cover: "DO YOU NEED A WOMEN'S REFUGE? / RING 329 8433 / REFUGE REFERRALS".
Back: "Prepared by the Victorian Women's Refuge Group, with the assistance of the / Office of Women's Affairs. / Funded by the Department of the Premier. / Victoria 1981."
Extensive text within.
|Prepared By:||Victorian Women's Refuge Group, Victoria, Australia, 1981
with assistance from the Office of Women's Affairs
|Place & Date Used:||Museum Victoria - Immigration Museum, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Mar 2008 - Jul 2008
Collected during the development of the Trailblazers: Migrant Women Activists' exhibition