Search the collections
Ewer - Glass, Compagnia Venezia-Murano, Venice, Italy, circa 1880 Reg. No: HT 22597
- Glass ewer manufactured by Compagnia Venezia-Murano (CVM), Venice, Italy, circa 1880. It is probable this piece was made by members of the Seguso family who worked for CVM as it corresponds to items illustrated in trade catalogues.
Compagnia Venezia-Murano were awarded a First Order of Merit (gold medal) for their display. The company also received commissions from St Paul's cathedral in Melbourne for glass mosaics (which still exist).
- Blown, salmon pink, glass ewer with fluted spout, cylindrical neck, flattened bulbous body and tiered, stemmed foot. White and yellow flowers with green leaves attached to waist of bowl. Brown serpent like creature curves around handle and neck. No markings.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Dr Will Twycross, 2009
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
|Dimensions:||240 mm (Height), 150 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, royal exhibition building, italian art, glass, decorative arts|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, John Twycross Melbourne International Exhibitions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||International Exhibitions|
|Tertiary Classification:||exhibition heritage|
|Manufacturer:||Compagnia Venezia-Murano, Venice, Italy, circa 1880|
|Place & Date Exhibited:||Mr John Twycross, Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia, 1880-1881|
|Collector:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Carlton, Victoria, Australia, 1881|
This item is part of the following themes: