Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Vase - Ruby Glass with Enamelled Floral Panels, Bohemia, circa 1880 Object Reg. No: HT 22598

Summary:
Ruby red and white blown glass vase (one of a pair) with gilt arabesque style tendril design, and enamelled floral panels.

Count Harrach of Neuwelt (Nový Svet, now Harrachov) presented the largest display of Bohemian glass at the Melbourne International Exhibition. Effusively described in the description of the Austro-Hungary Court, Harrach's display was awarded a First Order of Merit (gold medal). Examples of glassware similar to these vases were noted among Harrach's exhibits at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition. As a journalist for Adelaide's South Australian Regiter observed, 'The specimens in ruby and in gold and white enamel on ruby ground are exceedingly charming. This rich and attractive tint is produced by a mixture of gold with the material used.'

Glass workshops were established in Harrachov in 1712 by Elias Müller, who had gained permission from the then Count, Alois Raimund von Harrach. The Harrach family acquired the glass works in 1754, and the growth of the glass industry in the region is partly due to the long-standing reputation of the factory's output. Glass blanks manufactured at the Harrach factory were used by a number of the other major Bohemian glass manufacturers and designers in the late nineteenth century.

The Harrach glass works were privatised in 1993, and continue today under the name Sklarna Novosad and Syn (Novosad and Sons) Bohemia Harrachov.
Description:
Red blown glass vase with fluted neck, profusely decorated with gilt tendil and foliate motifs and painted floral still life panels on opposing sides of the body. Rim is flared, and the neck drops to a waisted shoulder above a bulbous body on a small foot.
Acquisition Information:
Cultural Gifts Donation from Dr Will Twycross, 2009
Acknowledgement:
Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 165 mm (Height), 80 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, royal exhibition building, glass, decorative arts
Themes this item is part of: Public Life & Institutions Collection, John Twycross Melbourne International Exhibitions Collection
Primary Classification: ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING
Secondary Classification: International Exhibitions
Tertiary Classification: exhibition heritage
Inscriptions: Handwritten numbers on underside in black. Number 5 on white ground. Cross hatching in glass on underside of foot rim: X III (?) The etched numeral is of a European or continental shape.
Place & Date Made: Europe, circa 1880
Place & Date Exhibited: Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Carlton, Victoria, Australia, 1880-1881
Collector: Mr John Twycross, Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia, 1881
References: http://www.sklarnaharrachov.cz/
'Austria', Argus (Exhibition Supplement), Monday, 11 October 1880, p.21
'The Austrian Court', South Australian Register, Wednesday, 27 October 1880, p.5
Petrova, Sylva, and Olivie, Jean Luc (ed), Bohemian Glass, 1400-1989, Harry N. Abrams Inc, New York, 1990.

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.

Similar items

Yes No