Search the collections
Similar items over time
Envelope - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Kodak Stationary Used for the Official Opening of Kodak Factory in Coburg, 1961 Reg. No: HT 22952
- Envelope, off-white with gold stamp Kodak company name. The stationary was used for the official opening invitation/programme for the Kodak factory in Coburg, April 1961.
Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This envelope is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Off-white envelope with gold embossed company logo.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||128 mm (Height), 178 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||advertising, stationary, promotional materials, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Baker & Rouse, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg, Kodak Advertising in Australasia, 1940s-1970s|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||opening events|
|Inscriptions:||Text, embossed reverse: 'Kodak'|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Manufactured For:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1961|
Beale, N, The History of Kodak in Australia, Coburg, no date.
?A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant? Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007
Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985
Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007