Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Place Card - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Function for the Official Opening of Kodak Factory in Coburg, 1961 Document Reg. No: HT 22956

Summary:
Place card for the opening function dinner at the Kodak factory in Coburg, April 1961.

Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This place card is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description:
Cardboard place card printed with red and orange ink.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Acknowledgement:
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 196 mm (Height), 84 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: promotional materials, cards, photography, opening ceremonies, making history - kodak collection
Themes this item is part of: Baker & Rouse, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg
Primary Classification: MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY
Secondary Classification: Photographic Products
Tertiary Classification: opening events
Inscriptions: Front, text, printed: 'Kodak'
Organisation Named: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Apr 1961
Manufactured For: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1961
References: Mortley, John S, The History of Kodak in Australia, Coburg, 1983
http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/heritage/71669
?A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant? Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007
Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985
Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No