Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Prime Minister Robert Menzies Greeted by Henry Foote at the Official Opening of the Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1961 Reg. No: MM 98437
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of Chief Managing Director and Chairman of Kodak Australasia, Henry F. Foote, greeting Prime Minister Robert Menzies at the opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April1961.
Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, portrait format.
- Description Of Content:
- The photograph focuses on two men greeting each other with a handshake in front of a black vehicle. The vehicle door is open. The man to the right, Prime Minister Robert Menzies, is wearing a long, dark wool overcoat and is holding a hat. The man to the left is wearing a light coloured suit and is turned three-quarters away from the camera. In the background there is a building.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||253 mm (Height), 206 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||prime ministers, functions, manufacturing plants, buildings, factories, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||opening events|
|Inscriptions:||Back, handwritten, blue pen: 'Opening[?] Coburg/ L/R/ HENRY FOOTE/ R-G MENZIES'
Back, top right, handwritten, pencil: '2422'
|People Depicted:||MENZIES, ROBERT GORDON; Foote, Henry|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr1961|
|Photographer:||Stuart Penberthy Pty.Ltd. Photographers, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Apr 1961|
|Person Depicted:||Prime Minister Robert Menzies, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Henry Foote - Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
?A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant? Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007
Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985
Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007