Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Dr. Alan Chapman Delivering a Speech at the Official Opening of the Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1961 Reg. No: MM 98450
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of the official opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April 1961.
At the lectern delivering a speech is Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company. Seated on the stage, second from the left is Company Secretary of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Joe Page with Prime Minister Robert Menzies seated next to him.
Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, portrait format.
- Description Of Content:
- The photograph focuses on a man wearing wire rimmed glasses standing at a lectern, speaking with several microphones in front of him, including a 3AW microphone. To the left, seated on the stage are three men wearing suits and ties. The legs of a fourth man can be seen at left of the image. A floral arrangement of gladioli is in the foreground to the right.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||253 mm (Height), 206 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||prime ministers, functions, executives, manufacturing plants, buildings, photography|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Construction of the Coburg Kodak Factory, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||opening events|
|People Depicted:||MENZIES, ROBERT GORDON; Page, Joe; Chapman, Dr A|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Photographer:||Stuart Penberthy Pty.Ltd. Photographers, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Person Depicted:||Dr Alan Chapman - Eastman Kodak, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Person Depicted:||Prime Minister Robert Menzies, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Joe Page - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 14 Apr 1961|
Beale, N, The History of Kodak in Australia, Coburg, no date.
?A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant? Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007
Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985
Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007