Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Aerial View of Car Park & Main Entrance, Kodak Factory, Coburg, circa 1961 Reg. No: MM 98272
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, aerial view south-east from Power House, Building 11, of a car park, the main entrance and the gatehouse, Kodak factory, Coburg, circa 1961.
This image features the main Elizabeth Street carpark in the foreground with bicycle racks next to the main security controlled entrance to the factory. Building 1, Security, and Building 10, Medical and Personnel, is located in the centre with the Elizabeth Street and East Coburg residential landscape in the background. The open ground of Newlands Primary School can be seen on the left, and the site of the future Building 8, Administration, is situated to the right in the background.
Building 1 contained a security office, master time clock, telephone PBX and amenities for the security guards and PBX staff. Building 10 contained a medical centre with a full-time physician and three nursing sisters and a part-time physiotherapist. It also housed the personnel centre which included payroll, recruitment and other staff relations, and a small purchasing section supporting the factory.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Aerial view of car park and cars in the foreground of the image. In the mid ground, a road runs horizontally across the print. At the centre of the image are two single storey buildings. Two open grass areas are positioned to the left and right of the image, with suburban housing in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, factories, schools, bicycles, photography, roads, cars, suburbia, car parks, car park, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Baker & Rouse, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, stamp, purple ink: '62005'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, circa 1961|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, circa 1961|