Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Exterior View of Building 9, Amenities, Kodak Factory, Coburg, circa 1961 Reg. No: MM 98273
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, view looking south-east from a side road off Gatehouse Road towards the entrance to Building 9, Amenities, Kodak factory, Coburg, circa 1961.
This section of the two storey building housed general washroom facilities, an entrance foyer, canteen staff washrooms and a kitchen. The entrance to a special functions dining room is on the right. he higher roof in the centre covers the canteen service area while the gable roof in the left background covers the main hall. The natural slope of the land hides the basement level of this building.
The ground floor of this building contained the canteen service centre, which also had a parquetry dance floor and doubled as a function hall. The basement level contained an employee's shop with discounted Kodak products, a small cinema room, a branch of the NAB, Camera Club rooms, washroom facilities, and later a credit union office.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Ground level view along a narrow road of a double storey building. Parked in front, near the main entrance to the building, is a station wagon. Close to the centre of the image is a street light pole, positioned in the front of the entrance. The building is brick and features manicured lawns surrounding it, noticeably in the left hand corner of the print and to the right.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, factories, buildings, photography, street lighting, cars, lawns, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Baker & Rouse, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, stamp: '62005'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, circa 1961|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, circa 1961|