Search the collections
Similar items over time
Trowel - Albanian Mosque, Shepparton, 1956 Reg. No: HT 22914
- Metal trowel with worn wooden handle. This trowel was used to lay the foundation stone of Victoria's first Albanian mosque, in Shepparton, 1956. The stone was laid by Myrteza Adem and R. Sherif Islam. The mosque was opened in 1960. The Albanian community in Shepparton is the largest Albanian community in regional Australia. The community still observes religious days and the Albanian national day "Flamur Day" on November 28 of each year.
- Trowel with metal diamond-shaped 'head' with right-angled neck to which is attached a rounded wooden handle. There is a round metal disc screwed into end of the handle.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Albanian Muslim Society, Shepparton, 2008
|Tagged with:||albanian communities, albanian immigration, cultural traditions, religions islam, building construction, mosques, immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Quoran - Albanian, 18th century, Cultural Diversity Collection, Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Muslim Collections at Museum Victoria|
|Place & Date Used:||Shepparton, Victoria, Australia, 1956|
|Past Owner:||Albanian Muslim Society, Shepparton, Shepparton, Victoria, Australia, circa 1960-2008|
|References:||Kurbet. The continuing journey of Albanians in Victoria, Immigration Museum Community Gallery room brochure, 2007-2008; 3 photographs used in Kurbet and copied in MV collection - including community and architect on site for mosque and laying foundation stone with the trowel, 1956.|