Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, View of Factory Site from Building 11, Power House, Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1959 Reg. No: MM 98324
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph, view looking south-west from the cooling tower of Building 11, Power House, Kodak factory, Coburg, May 1959.
In this image, the entire layout of Buildings 2, Emulsion Making, and Building 3, Emulsion Coating, can be seen along with the connecting flyover between the two buildings at the third floor level. Building 2 is in the foreground, with its multi-storey section and single storey east and west wings. Building 3 is further back with its multi-storey section and single storey west wing, also wrapping around the north and south of the multi-storey section. The external fabric of these buildings appears to have been completed except for a service building being erected on the penthouse level of Building 3.
To the left of picture, the first leg of the Power House services gantry appears to have been completed, with its newly insulated (lagged) pipes following the lines of internal roadways around to Buildings 7, 3, 4 & 5. In the foreground and right of picture, the second leg of the services gantry following the north side of Biggs Road has been completed as far as the take-off to Building 2. Protective aluminium outer cladding on the lagged pipes is in the process of being applied.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- In this landscape view looking towards the south-west and down from the cooling tower of the Building 11 Power House, a complex of multi-storey and single storey buildings can be seen with two sections of the services gantry in view. Builders' huts and equipment can be seen around the site while Pentridge Goal and residential housing estates are visible in the distant horizon.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, factories, buildings, building construction, photography, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, stamp: 'KODAK ABBOTSFORD/TESTING DEPARTMENT PHOTOGRAPH/13 MAY 1959 Reference No. 59006B'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, May 1959|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, May 1959|