Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, View of Emulsion Coating & Emulsion Making Buildings Under Construction, Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1958 Reg. No: MM 98349
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph taken from the roof of Building 7, Testing, looking north-west towards Buildings 3, Emulsion Coating, and Building 2, Emulsion Making, shows the buildings under construction, Kodak factory, Coburg, November 1958.
This second floor level view features the final stages in the installation of the services reticulation of the already constructed services gantry. The gantry was located along the eastern end of Building 3 in the foreground, set against the multi-storey sections of Buildings 3 and 2 (l to r) in the background. On the lower decks of the gantry, protective cladding on the large pipes, which carried steam, chilled water and brine, are yet to be fitted at the transition points, and on the north and south take-offs to Building 3. On the upper decks of the gantry, lighter pipe and cable runs are being installed. The fully clad condensate return line and the bare compressed air supply line are visible in front of Building 3. In the background, the steel reinforced concrete multi-storey columns, lift well, floors and stairways of Building 3 appears to have been completed to the top penthouse level. The external brick walls are completed up to second floor level. Further back, the external walls of Building 2 appear to have been completed up to the penthouse level, where construction of service buildings is underway. The flyover between the two buildings at the third floor level, is clearly visible.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Image of a steel trussed gantry carrying large pipes, situated high above the road level and running across the width of a yet-to-be-completed multi-storey building. A flyover connects this building to another more advanced in construction. Scaffolding, ladders, two tower hoists and other equipment can be seen around the worksite.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||building materials, manufacturing, factories, buildings, building construction, photography, building equipment|
|Themes this item is part of:||Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Front, printed: 'General' & '26.11.58'
Back, stamp: 'KODAK ABBOTSFORD/TESTING DEPARTMENT PHOTOGRAPH/Reference No. 58064A'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Nov 1958|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Nov 1958|