Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Power House Building with Marley Cooling Tower on Platform, Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1958 Reg. No: MM 98358
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph looking north-east from the roof of Electricity Sub-Station #2, of Building 11, Power House, under construction, Kodak factory, Coburg, June1958.
The first stage of the Power House building consisted of a Machine Hall with north and south annexes; an office and amenities block, and a single cooling tower. This is a distant view of the whole building where the steel framework, roofing, brick walls and windows appears completed. The first Marley cooling tower is in place (there were ultimately three such towers).
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- View of the Building 11 Power House looking north-east across the construction site from the roof of electricity sub-station #2. The exterior of the building appears to be close to completion along with the platform for cooling towers, with one tower already in place. Builders' huts can be seen scattered around the site. A row of shops and residences appear in the far right background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, factories, buildings, building construction, photography, motor trucks, cars, power houses, cooling towers, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Original Caption:||Power House Building with Marley Cooliing Tower on Platform|
|Inscriptions:||Front, printed: 'Power House Building with Marley Cooling Tower on Platform' & '5.6.58'
Back, stamp: 'KODAK ABBOTSFORD/TESTING DEPARTMENT PHOTOGRAPH/Reference No. 58031B'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Jun 1958|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Jun 1958|