Search the collections
Similar items over time
Qur'an - Silvi Xhami, Albanian, circa 1700-1750 Reg. No: HT 23223
- Alternative Name(s): Quran, Koran
Small dark leather-bound Qur'an with Arabic printing. This 300-year-old hand-written Qur'an originates from the Silvi Xhami (Cyprus mosque) theological school in Ohrid, now in Macedonia. It was brought to Australia from Albania by Lutfi Lloga in order to save it from certain destruction during the communist regime. It was donated by his son Erik Lloga in the late 1990s to the Albanian Muslim Society, Shepparton in celebration of the opening of a community centre extension to the first Albanian mosque in Victoria.
- Small dark leather-bound book with extended leather flap for marking pages and stitched spine. All interior pages feature a panel of Arabic text handwritten in black ink, enclosed in a double-lined border with gold detailing. Some pages have decorative floral detailing at the left hand side. The first pages have solid decorative green borders around the text, with handwritten notes in Turkish on the first pages. The bordered text on the last pages have extra borders dividing the text.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This Qur'an represents an active effort by one community to preserve its cultural traditions, both by transporting the Qur'an to Australia where it had a chance to survive, and by making it accessible to the local Albanian migrant community. The Qur'an is a poignant material symbol of cultural loss and endurance, and the ways in which artefacts can be imbued with the cultural, religious and national identities at an individual and community level. It also represents the establishment of Albanian Muslim community life in Victoria.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Albanian Muslim Society, Shepparton, 2008
|Dimensions:||50 mm (Height), 116 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||religions islam, wars conflicts, refugees, religious artifacts, religious instruction, mosques, albanian communities, albanian immigration, community groups, community organisations services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Quoran - Albanian, 18th century, Cultural Diversity Collection, Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Muslim Collections at Museum Victoria, Identity: Yours, Mine, Ours, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 2011-2021|
|Place & Date Made:||Ohrid, Macedonia, 1700s|
|Presented To:||Albanian Muslim Society, Shepparton, Shepparton, Victoria, Australia, circa 1998|
|Presented By:||Mr Erik Lloga, Shepparton, Victoria, Australia, circa 1998|
|Other Association (See Comments):||Mr Lufti Lloga, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s
Brought to Australia by
|References:||Kurbet. The continuing journey of Albanians in Victoria, Immigration Museum Community Gallery room brochure, 2007-2008; 3 photographs used in Kurbet and copied in MV collection - including community and architect on site for mosque and laying foundation stone with the trowel, 1956.|
This item is part of the following themes: