Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Two Workers In Kodak Factory Yard, Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1951 Reg. No: MM 98559
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of two workers in a Kodak factory yard in Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1951.
The Abbotsford factory was initially the site of the Austral Plate Company, created by Thomas Baker, a pharmaceutical chemist, in 1884. After Baker went into partnership with accountant, John Rouse, to develop the photographic manufacturing company, Baker and Rouse Pty Ltd, they proposed a merger with Eastman Kodak in 1907. In 1908, Australian Kodak Limited was formed and evolved to become what is known today as Kodak Australasia. The Abbotsford site remained the base for the operations of Kodak Australasia until the late 1950s.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on light weight paper, portrait format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- The photograph is taken from ground level and angled upwards. The image consists of two brick buildings and a factory yard with bricks, stone, crates and barrels. Two men are standing at ground level, one of the men wearing overalls, is looking at a large crate being pulled by ropes through a first storey window. Between the buildings there are tall trees.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||254 mm (Height), 204 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factory yards, factory workers, photography, working life, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, centre, stamp, purple ink: 'KODAK ABBOTSFORD/TESTING DEPARTMENT PHOTOGRAPH/ Reference No. 54014'
Back, top right hand corner, handwritten, pencil: "Jan B'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1951|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1951|